The Mass Cultural Council's Universal Participation Initiative seeks to break down the barriers that prevent full civic participation in the cultural sector of our Commonwealth.
- The Innovation and Learning Network provides immersive workshops in universal design principles to steward ADA compliance, access plan implementation, and engagement strategies.
- UP Designation provides peer networking, leadership platforms, promotional opportunities, and professional development for organizations demonstrating inclusive practices.
- The Innovation Fund provides $1000 grants to Designated organizations determined to take a bold step toward equity through policy, training, community, or innovative development.
- The EBT Card to Culture is a partnership between the Mass Cultural Council and the Executive Office of Health and Human Services’ Department of Transitional Assistance to break through the fiscal and social barriers that prevent access to the cultural treasures in Massachusetts.
The UP Initiative stewards a movement toward Universal Participation. Read more about how three cultural organizations are embracing inclusive design: PDF version and Word version available.
What can you do?
If you are a patron:
- Don't be afraid to ask for help!
- Support the UP Organizations with a visit.
- Don't see your favorite places on the list of UP Organizations? Encourage them to Think UP!
- Use #ThinkUP on social media when sharing your experiences around universal participation.
If you are an organization:
- Want to learn more? Attend an UP ADA 101 sessionor contact the program officer.
- Want your good work recognized? Apply for UP Designation.
- Looking for help? Apply to the Innovation and Learning Network.
- Use #ThinkUP on social media when sharing your work around universal participation.