Systems Replacement Plan Grants 2017
Goals of the Systems Replacement Plan Grants Program
The goal of the Systems Replacement Plan Grants is to provide organizations who do not have full-time maintenance staff with the tools they need to prioritize their capital maintenance needs. The Systems Replacement Plan will help managers and board members of cultural organizations get the objective information and analysis they need to address the cycles of maintenance, green building and universal design for their facility. (Please note: some cultural facilities are located in buildings with non-cultural/arts activities. We can only fund planning for facilities with arts, humanities and interpretive sciences programming.)
Back to Top
With a Systems Replacement Plan Grant, grantees will enter into contract with a pre-approved third party consultant who will survey the building envelope (roof, walls, and entry systems) and the mechanical systems (heating, cooling, ventilation, plumbing, and pool filtration). The survey will provide the estimated usable-life expectancy and the approximate replacement cost of your building systems. At the conclusion of the survey, organizations will receive a 20-year Systems Replacement Plan which forecasts the necessary replacement schedule of specific systems and equipment.
Back to Top
As outlined in previous sections, the Cultural Facilities Fund
statute establishes four threshold review criteria for all grants.
All projects must provide evidence that they meet these four statutory
criteria to be considered for a Systems Replacement Plan Grant:
- There must be a demonstrated community need for the project*.
- The project must be able to demonstrate that it will benefit tourism in the local area**.
- There must be a demonstrated financial need for a grant.
- The project must be able to demonstrate local support*.
*Please address “community need” and “local support” in terms of your cultural organization and/or programming.
**Tourism is defined as: “a person traveling 50 miles or more one way to a destination or who stays overnight”.
Back to Top
I. Intent to Apply
- Please review the eligibility
requirements for the Cultural Facilities Fund as defined
by the statute.(If your organization is requesting a Systems Replacement Plan Grant but does not own the property where the assessment will take place, please call the MCC before filling out the application to be sure the project is eligible.)
- If you decide to proceed, create an organizational profile to access the Intent to Apply and online application. (If your organization already has a profile from a previously-submitted online application for Adams, CIP-Gateway, Cultural Districts, Cultural Facilities Fund, or YouthReach you can skip this step and log in using the username/password associated with your organization’s profile.)
- Complete the Intent to Apply (the Project Overview page) of the online application and submit it electronically by the Intent to Apply deadline, 11:59 p.m. on November 18, 2016. Please note: The information in the Intent to Apply becomes the Project Overview page of the application, and can be changed anytime up until the application deadline. You do not need approval from the MCC after submitting the Intent to Apply to continue with the full application. MCC staff will contact you if any eligibility issues are identified.
II. Final Application
- Complete the remaining online Systems Replacement Grant pages including any updates or changes to the organizational profile and/or Project Overview page.
- Click the "final submission" button of the online application by the deadline - 5 p.m. on January 13, 2017. The electronic component of your application will then be automatically received by the MCCand you will receive an email confirming receipt of the narrative with a pdf copy of the narrative attached for your records.
- Mail or hand-deliver the following required materials to the MCC, by the deadline: 5:00 p.m. on January 13, 2017 (Please note that this is not a postmark deadline. Hard copy materials must be in MCC staff hands by 5:00 p.m. on January 13, 2017):
Please submit two separate, collated sets of the following items in the order shown below. Please print items single-sided on 8.5 x 11" paper. Do not use staples or binders. You may use paper/binder clips to separate sections if desired.
- Financial Information:
- Nonprofit Organizations:
- Income statements and balance sheets since your last audit, accountant’s review, or 990.
- Audited financial or draft audit statements for the three most recent fiscal years. (If your organization's annual budget is less than $500,000 and no audited financials are available, please provide the review statement by the accountant or internally prepared income and expense statements and balance sheets for the two most recent years. Audit statements are not required if the applicant is a municipality, but are required for all 501(c)3s including colleges and universities.)
- Municipalities: Facility-specific financials for the last three years for the subject facility. Audit statements are not required.
- Colleges and Universities:
- Audited Financial statements for the three most recent fiscal years.
- Facility-specific financials for the last three years for the subject facility.
The most recent year's financial statements must be unbound, one-sided, and printed on 8.5" x 11" paper only.
- Board list with affiliations (not required for municipalities).
- Staff List.
- Copy of Current Long-Range Plan, if available.
- Copy of IRS 501(c) (3) tax exemption letter (if applicable).
- Copy of the lease, deed, ground lease or use agreement for your facility.
- Images of facility. Please follow the instructions.
Printed materials for items 1 and 2 should be on one-sided 8.5" x 11" paper, held together by clips or rubber bands; please do not staple or use binders. Please allow for at least 1" margins on all sides to allow for copying and binding of panel books.
Address mail to:
Massachusetts Cultural Facilities Fund Grant Program
Massachusetts Cultural Council
10 St. James Ave., 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02116-3803
Only electronic submission of all the application pages, and the mailing or hand delivery of the materials listed above will constitute the final and complete application.
to Online Application