Credit & Publicity Kit - Contact
Please take a few minutes to thank those elected officials responsible
for appropriating funds to the MCC:
- The State House Representative and Senator for your legislative district. Find your legislators.
- The leadership at the State House:
President Therese Murray
Stephen Brewer, Chair – Senate Ways and Means Committee
Kathleen O'Connor Ives, Senate Chair – Joint Committee
on Tourism, Arts, & Cultural Development
Speaker Robert DeLeo
Brian Dempsey, Chair, House Ways & Means Committee
Cory Atkins, House Chair, Joint Committee on Tourism,
Arts, & Cultural Development
Address your letters to:
(Name of Legislator)
Boston, MA 02133
LETTER WRITING SUGGESTIONS:
- Keep your letters/emails to about one printed page.
- Get your organization's board chair to sign the letter.
- Thank officials for this year’s MCC appropriation and for your grant.
- Tell compelling stories about how your work impacts the
- Describe whom the program/project will serve, emphasize its public benefits (e.g., promoting education, access for underserved communities, economic impact).
- List private dollars your organization has raised to match the state grant and describe how the state grant helps leverage these dollars.
Sample letter/email to a Legislator
The Honorable Robert DeLeo
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Massachusetts State House
Boston, MA 02133
Dear Speaker DeLeo:
I am pleased to report that we have received a grant of $3,000 from the
Massachusetts Cultural Council. Thank you for your continued support of
MCC support is an essential component of our organizational
infrastructure. It is an investment in our institution as
well as in the community we serve. Here at the Young People's
Center for the Arts, young people gain technical skills in
the arts, and develop self-confidence and poise that will
help them succeed.
I hope we can welcome you at the Young Peoples Center for the
Arts soon, so we can show you firsthand how your support impacts
our community. I will contact you within the next few weeks to
schedule a time when you might come see our center at work. In
addition, we will be celebrating our 10th anniversary on April
1. I invite you to save the date and join us in celebrating this
achievement. We would be most honored if you would say a few words
at our gala event.
Thank you again for this investment in the MCC and in our
organization. We will be in touch with news about our organization
and to make arrangements for our spring celebration.
Get Legislators Involved:
It may be helpful to think about our state legislators as another stakeholder in your institution—like a member or a corporate donor. Here are some ways to connect your work with their public policy agenda:
- Meet with legislators in your institution's district to talk
to them personally about the importance of funding cultural
- Give your legislators posters from your organization or arrange to set up revolving exhibits in their offices.
- Invite legislators to performances, openings and classes.
Publicly recognize them at the events, and give them an opportunity
to speak. (CIP Partners: Don't forget to include them in your
- Add legislators to your mailing lists for events, media announcements and newsletters.
- Include legislators in your social media work. 'Like' your
legislators on Facebook. 'Follow' them on Twitter. Then, be
sure to acknowledge their support/attendance with a post on
your wall/feed and/or their wall/feed.
- Follow-up on any offers you make to meet, send invitations,
provide further information, etc. Legislators should be treated
like corporate supporters.
on meeting with elected officials to advocate for the cultural