CIP DataArts Requirement
This section provides more detail and instructions on the CIP DataArts Requirement, which is a final reporting requirement for current FY18 CIP grants, and a component of the application for continued CIP funding in FY19.
FY18 Reporting: Organizations that are currently funded in the Portfolio or Gateway program should refer to the contracts forms page for specific final reporting requirements, deadlines, and consequences.
FY19 Application: Current Portfolio grantees must complete a DataArts Cultural Data Profile (CDP) Survey for their most recently completed fiscal year, and generate the CIP Funder Report for the Cultural Investment Portfolio as part of the application for continued funding in FY19. Refer to the FY19 Guidelines (PDF) for specific information on application requirements and deadlines.
Gateway grantees must complete their FY18 reporting requirements, and submit an application to the Gateway program to be considered for FY19/FY20 funding. Refer to the FY19 Guidelines (PDF) and the Gateway guidelines for specific information on application requirements and deadlines. Gateway grantees will need to submit the CIP Funder Report as part of the application for the FY19/FY20 Gateway grant cycle, and will need to submit the CIP Funder Report to complete the reporting requirements for FY18 funding. Gateway grantees should submit data for the most recently completed and closed out fiscal year, which might mean that you are submitting data for the same fiscal year to the two separate grant pools.
DataArts, formerly the Cultural Data Project, was founded to bring the language and leverage of data to the business of culture. The Cultural Data Profile (CDP) is DataArts’ flagship service, which thousands of cultural nonprofits use annually to report their financial and programmatic information. DataArts seeks to be a catalyst for data-informed decision-making.
Completing a DataArts Profile survey
Complete instructions on the DataArts CDP Survey are available in DataArts’ Knowledgebase.
- Create and complete a CDP Survey for your most recently completed fiscal year; if you are catching up, and need to complete more than one CDP Survey it is recommended that you start with the earliest of the years because the information you enter will carry over from year-to-year.
Please note: the CDP Survey only collects historic data; do not enter data for a fiscal year that has not closed. This means that the fiscal year has ended and you have completed your 990 and audit for that year.
- If your organization receives an annual audit or review you will work from your finalized, board approved versions.
- If your organization is not reviewed or audited annually, you will work from your finalized, board approved year-end financial statements.
- o If your organization is an arts program/department within a larger institution, enter data based on internal financial statements for your program/department only. Do not include financial or programmatic information for the larger institution.
- All CIP Portfolio grantees are strongly encouraged, and Gateway applicants and grantees are required, to include a balance sheet in the CDP Survey, even if the organization is not audited.
If you have any questions regarding what data to enter into the CDP Survey, contact the DataArts Support Center and Cultural Investment Portfolio staff. You may save yourself extra work and time!
When you have finished entering your organization’s data, you can mark your CDP Survey as complete. This step sends your information to DataArts, but it does not make your data available to grantmakers.
Back to Instructions
Generating a Funder Report
How do I run a Funder Report?
After logging in to your DataArts account:
- From your dashboard page, enter “Massachusetts Cultural Council” in the search field under the “Find Grants” heading.
- The results page will show all available grant programs at the Mass Cultural Council requiring reporting through DataArts.
- For Portfolio grantees, click on the “View” link next to the program named “Cultural Investment Portfolio Grantees, FY19.”
- For Gateway grantees, click on the “View” link next to the program named “CIP: Gateway Grantees, FY19/FY20.
- Funder Reports submitted to the Cultural Facilities Fund (CFF) will not count towards the CIP program’s requirement.
- On the right hand side of the page, click on the “Submit Data” link.
- From the pop-up, select your three most recently completed fiscal years. All CDP Surveys must be complete. Unless explicitly allowed by the Mass Cultural Council, grantees are expected to report on FY15-FY17 for the FY19 application for continued funding.
- Your CIP Funder Report will open as a PDF Document and your data will be made available to the Mass Cultural Council.
After completing the steps above, your CIP Funder Report will be available electronically to CIP staff for final approval. You do not need to email the CIP Funder Report to the Mass Cultural Council. It is highly recommended that you review your CIP Funder Report for accuracy of data. If you find that you need to make changes to your CIP Funder Report and CDP Survey after you have already run the CIP Funder Report, , follow these instructions, and notify your CIP program contact.
Back to Instructions
Final MCC Review Process
The CIP Funder Report is reviewed by the Mass Cultural Council’s CIP staff for completion and accuracy of data. If there are errors or omissions, the grantee will have ten working days to make the needed changes to the CDP Survey. Grantees that have not done this within the ten day window will have the following year’s grant contract held until they do so. This may also affect the organization’s three-year average cash expense for the CIP formula.
Back to Instructions
Support & Resources
Articles and how to’s for navigating the new DataArts platform and completing the new Cultural Data Profile survey.
DataArts Support Center
Mass Cultural Council Staff
Speak with your Cultural Investment Portfolio program contact if you have questions about any reporting requirements, or application components. Mass Cultural Council staff is available Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
Staff at the Support Center is employed by DataArts, not the Mass Cultural Council. They cannot answer questions about CIP compliance. Contact the Support Center at 1-877-707-DATA (877-707-3282) or email@example.com, Monday-Friday, 9am-8pm.
Back to Instructions